Wednesday, January 19, 2011

deep freeze

After some experimenting, it's become clear to me that I should actively pursue Yoga in some capacity. In the last three weeks I've learned that I actually possess very little self-awareness and that my personal definition of flexibility is laughable. As a dedicated climber with a particularly reigned in approach, I thought I was capable of controlling my body fairly well. Clearly that's not the case, and even during simple poses I find myself wondering how it is that the geriatric next to me is able to stay so unflinchingly composed without sporting the most brutal try hard face.

In a sense, my definitions of what it is to be aware, flexible, and present are being challenged. This new trajectory is refreshing- it's an opportunity to learn and to grow. I believe that those who excel in life do so because they are constantly redefining the parameters that shape their experience.

With that in mind, I suppose it's good to take a step back and realize that while both disciplines (climbing and yoga) share some similarities, they are fundamentally different. Much like I wouldn't expect a novice climber to onsight moderate climbs in good fashion, I shouldn't expect myself to successfully and effortlessly execute every pose immediately. I suppose that's why it's called a "learning process" and not a "learning instant." At any rate, I'm looking forward to increasing my own self-awareness and to looking like less of an idiot in the process.

In addition to these recent discoveries, I was able to make it out this past Saturday for a session at the Roost in Southern Illinois. It was the first time in weeks that both my work schedule and the weather cooperated. 45 degrees and sunny? In January? Whaaaaat! 

Throwback

Needless to say, I was glad to get out of the gym and back to the real world. After a visual tour of the surrounding boulders, we made our way down to Screaming Eagle (V6) and Beaver Eater Deluxe (V7). A botched flash attempt gave way to a second go send of Screaming Eagle. Not the most aesthetic boulder, but great moves and good height!

While I was unable to do Beaver Eater Deluxe, my friend David was able to link Screaming Eagle into Beaver Eater Deluxe- which was dubbed, for the time being, Screaming Beaver Eater Deluxe (FA, V9). Definitely a good show. Hopefully we'll post the video soon?

From there we made our way over to Illinois' Biggest Sloper (V7)- easily THE best boulder problem in the state. It's amazing that such an incredible feature could be formed naturally. The problem tackles an improbably large and featureless sloper. A long lock off from the sloper to a left handed side pull gives way to a precarious finish on a perplexing prow. Upon examination it was clear that at a certain point the beta would simply be to not fall. We had a good laugh about that, and then, in rookie fashion, I managed to fall on the exact part of the problem we had discussed only moments before.
 
Despite nearly killing myself on my second try (thanks for saving my life David!), I was able to reach the summit on my next attempt. Definitely the most satisfying problem I have ever done- period.

The day finished with a flash of The Oriole (V5) and a near send of Chuck Norris (V9)- too bad "nearly sent" is a chump way of saying "didn't send." Can't wait to go back fresh! An improbable looking line just to the left of Chuck Norris was also discovered, so there's some unfinished business back at the Roost. 

Unfortunately, Old Man Winter is starting to make his rounds. We're projected to receive six to eight inches of snow, so we'll see if anything stays dry- fingers crossed.

You know you're getting older when you see snow falling and instead of getting excited about building snowmen and going sledding, you think about all the pain in the ass things you have to do to deal with it. Yikes. See you in the deep freeze.

Hueco: 28 Days

1 comment:

  1. I think Spread Eagle Beaver Eater should be the new name. Glad to see you keeping motivation high, man. Let me know when you want to visit Squamish. Can't wait for the (short) dry season!

    ReplyDelete