Tuesday, January 11, 2011

hoop dreams

2011 kicked off in good fashion with a maelstrom of inexplicable injuries and enduring ailments. Not the way I'd like to start things, but after coughing up blood and battling a trifecta of injuries (wrist, hand, & elbow) for two weeks, I'm back. I feel like spending two weeks on the couch may have set me back, but there's not much I can do about it. Realistically, a fourteen day loss is negligible, so I don't plan to up the ante in order to make up for lost time. You can't make up for lost time, so why bother worrying about it? Right? Other than that, with the holidays having drawn to a close, I feel relieved. I'm glad to be as far away from them as possible. Maybe next year I'll be more prepared to deal.

Complications aside, my campaign for personal growth has been advancing steadily. Since the beginning of the year, I have successfully resurrected my savings account, begun my search for a yoga studio that suits my needs, and finally addressed my move back to the city. I'm still finding it difficult to introduce certain exercises into my schedule (reading, writing, and work-shopping ideas), but I'm doing my best. I'm beginning to realize that finding and managing a balanced life is an incredibly difficult thing to do. I certainly envy those who do it well!

In other news: come February, I'm out of here. I've booked my flight and I'm heading to Hueco for two weeks. Naturally, having never been, I'm excited. I'm not a boulderer by trade, but since I returned to Saint Louis I've been doing my best to flip some switches and get my head in the game. I'm also not delusional, so I haven't outlined any particular goals for the trip. 

Yet. 

Truth be told, I'm just glad I have the opportunity to split for a while and check out a new scene. Winter weather, a challenging schedule, and the typical struggles associated with pulling on plastic have made climbing stale. Definitely ready to bolt.

Countdown: 38 days


No comments:

Post a Comment