Tuesday, May 11, 2010

team canada

Last week I was fortunate enough to find myself in the company of a group of climbers from Toronto, ON. Our relationship was forged during the unrelenting rain that plagued eastern Kentucky for two days. It is difficult to isolate the catalyst that begat such a stimulating friendship, but it’s quite possible that the context in which we met had far more to do with its conception.

It was refreshing to meet a group of people with such galvanizing personalities. My only regret is that our paths crossed so briefly. Certain personalities have a way of resonating with one another, and I think it is rare to find a group of people as beautifully composed as Team Canada.



Kacy Wilson, Gold Rush 5.11d



Katherine Smith, Gold Rush 5.11d


Gary Siu, Gold Rush 5.11d

It has been difficult for me to both ascertain and articulate the appeal of the Canadians. All I can surmise is that each individual possessed a delightful, dimensional personality. In addition to being talented athletes, I saw in each individual a great deal of compassion, thoughtfulness, and brilliance. It truly was a pleasure to meet such a charming bunch.



Jonathan Pencharz, Blood Bath 5.12c

The evolution of a social network is a beautiful thing. When relationships are formed organically they have the potential to alter your life in a profound way.

These new friends could not have come at a better time in my life. I find it remarkable that I was able to rediscover my personhood in the presence of new company. With their help, I was able to exhume the person who had once been buried underneath layers of emotional trauma and unremitting isolation. The confidence I have been seeking has finally returned and for the first time in months I feel as though I have regained my identity- for this, I am truly grateful to my new friends.



Bonnie De Bruijn, Mosaic 5.12c

I believe that it is the collaboration of identities that makes life worth living. I feel honored to have shared such an amazing experience with my new Canadian friends. I certainly look forward to seeing Team Canada in the future. Again, it was an enormous pleasure to have met you. Best of luck with your endeavors, ciao!




1 comment:

  1. Yes Yusuf. This World is a very rich place full of people who will "add branches to your tree". It is great to see you are in this place where you are embracing that fact. People have a way to come in your life for different reasons and help you trace your own path. If you are open to that reality (and it looks like you are now) you will grow my friend.

    ReplyDelete