Monday, September 20, 2010

time check

This past Saturday marked my first day back in Southern Illinois since March. Admittedly, a visit to Jackson Falls this early on may have been a bit premature, but I was driven by sheer desperation. In the three years that I've been climbing in Illinois, I have never once bothered to visit during the summer. But, weeks of pulling on plastic, and the prospect of spending the day with my friends made my decision an easy one to make. Humidity, the conventional kryptonite, was relatively low, and a session at Railroad Rock made things far more enjoyable as we were able to dodge direct sun-light.

Photo by Alex Gamble, 24HHH 2008

All things considered, it was a fairly productive day. The day began with an onsight of American Hand Gunner (5.11d), a route notoriously difficult for the grade. American Hand Gunner was a route that I always wanted to do, but never made time for. Limited time, and higher priority projects always forces certain routes further, and further down the list. It's unfortunate, because many of these routes are often five-star. They simply don't see as much traffic because they happen to be low in the grade. Stop chasing numbers!

From the ground, American Hand Gunner (like most routes at the Falls) seemed impervious to attack. A closer look revealed a weakness, albeit not much of one. I'll spare the heavy details, but it is definitely worth checking out. American Hand Gunner is like Hidden Treasure (5.12a), without the fluff. Sequential pockets, long moves, a proper boulder problem on credit card sized crimps, and an exciting top out. It's a brilliant example of the unique brand of challenging movement only found in Southern Illinois. Stellar!

The rest of the day included a repeat of Barbarians at the Gate (5.12a/b), an exciting lesson in poor decision making on Slabstick Comedy (5.12a), and a less than valiant effort on Everybody Needs Friends (5.12a).

I still find it surprising that people don't recognize Jackson Falls as a five-star locale. Southern Illinois is home to the most brilliant and engaging sandstone I have ever encountered. And sure- with my limited experience, that may not be the highest of endorsements. But, for what it's worth, I still think So Ill is top notch.


In other news, the 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell Competition is this weekend. I've teamed up with my friend John Oungst, who, back in 2006, was my partner during the first 24HHH. I'm excited to have John on board, and I can't wait to cover as much vertical mileage as possible! I'll be sure to chronicle the weekend once we've had a chance to recover from the self-inflicted sleep deprivation. Fortunately for us, the weather looks as if it will be letting up. Even though we'll be suffering on the inside, we can at least enjoy blue skies, good conditions, and the company of the 200+ individuals who will all inevitably regret their decision to sign up for this event.

Yeah-Yuh!

Which reminds me- Fall is fast approaching! Months of relentless plastic pulling, hyper-focused conditioning, and over-all suffering for that singular pursuit is about to pay off. Despite the ups and downs along the way, I'm excited for the season. I've outlined a few goals/projects, and the plan is to stay focused, to stay hungry, and to grow from the experience. Staying driven is key- it's commitment, not excuses, that makes progress possible. That being said- enjoy this short by Mike Call, featuring Jacinda Hunter, and get psyched for your season!


No comments:

Post a Comment