Wednesday, June 16, 2010

drops in a bucket

I have spent the last week acclimating to the scene here in Denver. While the climbing community is certainly larger than that of the Red River Gorge, it has been remarkably difficult to make it out to the crag. Conditions and full-time jobs are preventing most people from going out. After speaking with several individuals it seems that these conditions (80 degrees and no humidity) are not ideal...wait. What? Clearly they have never been to the Midwest or the Southeast.

To be fair, it did rain for three days. I have been reassured that I am not missing out on much. Local venues like Clear Creek, Boulder Canyon, Estes Park and RMNP would most likely be saturated and unclimbable. I suppose their regional acumen is more refined than my own, so I will trust their judgment.

As a result, I have been doing most of my climbing at Movement Climbing + Fitness in Boulder, CO. Normally I wouldn't condone such behavior, but the transition to pulling on plastic has not been difficult under the circumstances. Exceptional route setting in conjunction with the gym's layout and resources make it the obvious place to train. I typically spend the summer preparing for the fall season anyway, so I am excited to take advantage of such an impressive indoor facility.



It's nice to have a consistent climbing routine again. I am a firm believer that consistency over time determines the difference between an average rock climber and an exceptional athlete.
Progressing in this sport is similar to filling a bucket with water one drop at a time. A few dedicated workouts a week certainly won't allow you to break through the glass ceiling next month. A few dedicated workouts every week for 52 weeks, however, will have an impact on your performance the following year. Patience and perspective are indispensable allies. Given enough time, the water level in the bucket will rise.

While it is certainly true that some individuals possess the genetic potential to advance quickly, the reality is that most of us are not as fortunate. Comparing yourself to other climbers is a dangerous trap that we have all fallen into at some point during our climbing careers. I think it's important to remember that once you've compared your abilities to another individual's, the only thing that you have succeeded in doing is making an elementary observation. Clearly there are stronger, more talented climbers out there. I think our time is better spent isolating personal weaknesses, developing effective strategies to target those weaknesses, and committing to a routine.

Over the years I've heard many people express a dissatisfaction with their performance or a desire to hit that new grade. The only thing I can offer is that it's time to stop talking and time to start working. The only way to get things done is to start.

1 comment:

  1. the orange to green route looks like the shit, i've already got my beta sussed out. ha.

    /keeping the photo for future reference

    ReplyDelete