Thursday, April 22, 2010

on the mend


Angie Crowe, The G-Man 5.10c

Yesterday was my first day back in the saddle after a two month hiatus from the sport. Fitness is clearly an issue, but I am determined to
remedy that.

A few projects still remain undone since Fall 2009, but I'm doing my best to be patient. The Red River Gorge is a unique area. No level of conditioning can prepare you better to onsight, flash, or send at your limit in this environment than simply climbing here. It seems that unless you climb here on the regular, it takes a few days to acclimate to the big steep- and that's what I intend to do.

Tuesday I was able to sneak in three pitches at Drive-By Crag before the sun had set. While it may not be the most impressive or aesthetic crag, it certainly offers a great opportunity to ease back into Kentucky climbing.

The following day I found myself at Military Wall. Determined to get on the mend, I attempted to fire off as many pitches as possible- most of which included repeats/laps of Tissue Tiger (12b), Gung Ho (12b), and the Reliquary (12b). In total I was able to hammer out ten pitches, but it was abundantly clear that the endurance game is at an all time low.

Dehydration and hulking forearms prompted me to take today off. I tried my hand at rigging a fixed line from which I was able photograph my close friends. I see the potential in photography as a new passion, and I fully intend to pursue it. I've included a few photos from today's outing, enjoy.


John Oungst, Amarillo Sunset 5.11b


Joe Kriedel, The G-Man 5.10c


Sophie Binder, The G-Man 5.10c

No comments:

Post a Comment